My first working pengun- ammo questions...

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
SloppyJoeES
Private
Private
United States of America

Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:13 am

:D Okay I have all my new components! Unfortunately though, since my piston's seal has already worn out, I cannot shoot the new ammo quite yet.

For the new seal, I am using 1/16" Ultra Strength Neoprene from McMaster, which I think will last much longer than the old seal, which was simple Natural Rubber Latex of the same thickness from the hardware store. The epoxy is still setting, but I hope it works well and for much longer! Because I would also like to make a more aesthetically pleasing gun that is not serviceable, and don't want the piston wearing out because then it'd be useless.
20201222_181836.jpg
I also received the schrader cores I ordered: 9914B short cores from an aviation supply. They're rated to 4000psi and fit in any old schrader valve body. I hope this lasts long too, because I got sick of replacing valves whose seals were destroyed from the pressure.
20201222_181937.jpg
hectmarr wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:14 pm
If you want to get a bit of sparks and smoke, add a small drop of oil, like spring-loaded airguns do, with the dieseling effect. Your work was excellent, I'm thinking of building one like me too. :)
Thanks! Really does mean a lot. I will try that sometime soon, sounds like it'd make for a really cool effect.