Fallout Powerfist!

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
doomburger
Private 3
Private 3

Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:47 am

Hey guys! While playing Fallout 3 and trying to perfect my spud gun, I had a great (at least I think so) idea of creating a "power fist". :idea: The power fist is basically an unarmed weapon with two pneumatic cylinders that shoot at as you punch to deal serious damage. I'm thinking about using a single cylinder to shoot a rounded spike and have the whole thing attached to my arm instead, as it would offer better support than my easily breakable hands. :P Anyways, since I'm completely new to pneumatic cylinders I could use some serious help. I'm just going to ask the question I couldn't find the answer to through a Google search, but I may have missed something. Well enough talk, here's my questions! :)

1. Would the pneumatic cylinder handle the stress? I'm looking for something somewhere along the lines of a 2" bore cylinder with a long stroke (6-8 inches or so).
2. Can a pneumatic cylinder extend extremely quickly? I'm looking at creating a chamber and connecting that to a QEV. Then I would use a blowgun to actuate the QEV and into the pneumatic cylinder.
3. How do I "unextend" the pneumatic cylinder? (I forgot the actual word for that... derp :oops: )

Thanks guys. :)
Zeus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:56 am

1. Yes, only if the force applied is along it's axis

2. Very, but use an electronic solenoid and piston valve for efficiency's sake

3. Use single action cylinder, they retract automatically.

And make sure you film the first shot, people breaking their arm on camera is always funny.
/sarcasm, /hyperbole
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:09 am

I have a problem with the physics here. If you're punching something that isn't made of bubbles, isn't the impact more likely to damage your own fist than anything else?

It is rather pretty though.

A power "spike" seems to make more sense than a fist.

Last edited by jackssmirkingrevenge on Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
doomburger
Private 3
Private 3

Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:11 am

Haha, I'll make sure to film getting my arm broken in two halves for you evil people to enjoy. :lol:
I'm still not sure how the cylinder can retract itself. I know there is a spring in the front, but the air pressure is still behind it! Unless the air is somehow vented? :?
Also, I forgot to ask. Is it possible to make it so that I can compress a large tank and extend the power fist multiple times? BTW, I have no air compressor, just a really good bike pump. (I like biking :P)
Zeus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:21 am

Use a 5/2 way solenoid for it, attach the NO to the input of the cylinder, so when it's not actuated the cylinder is at atmospheric pressure, and the NC on the other circuit of the 3 way to the pilot of the QEV.

Simple
/sarcasm, /hyperbole
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:32 am

I'm looking for something somewhere along the lines of a 2" bore cylinder with a long stroke (6-8 inches or so).
2. Can a pneumatic cylinder extend extremely quickly?
Better keep it small - less air consumption, smaller valves required, extends quicker

ohh and 2" bore ?? WTF ??
surface area of the piston in sq in * pressue in psi = force

so... assuming just mere 150 psi

1"*1"*3.14 * 150 psi = ~471 pounds
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
Zeus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:45 am

PS, it's called a power fist for a good reason, not "girly limp wristed punch fist" is it?

And that's why I said to film it, impacted fractures are my favourite.
/sarcasm, /hyperbole
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:52 am

PS, it's called a power fist for a good reason, not "girly limp wristed punch fist" is it?
lol a tazer glove would make more sense imho
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
velocity3x
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:08 am

doomburger wrote: I'm thinking about using a single cylinder to shoot a rounded spike and have the whole thing attached to my arm instead.......
Perhaps you can receive a discount if you book your hospital room in advance.
Fnord
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:25 pm

Remember your laws of motion. The extra momentum you gain from this will ultimately be paid back by forcing your arm backwards. Same thing as recoil from a gun. Only with this type of device, any energy that is not expended pushing or deforming the target is going to become recoil. Punching a tree could be rather painful. Don't let your wrist be a transmission for recoil energy, since it's fairly easy to break compared to the bones in your arm.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:26 pm

Yeah, make something useful.

http://www.timelapse.dk/thesleevegun.php

:D
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life